Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,636 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CEARL JOHN, RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA

Just do It.

8 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel (I just joined).
11 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fantastic Eleveno... thank you for sharing your success.  As always, you are a great inspiration!  Thank you for sharing so many great ideas and positive motivation.
11 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Pete and Vincenza,

Thank you for your replies.

My wife said that my depression was like a travel I was doing and that now I am back to be her husband again.

My sleep is also back to normal (I used to have sleep problems) and I have my social life back.

I will be glad to answer any more questions you or anyone have.
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi eleveno,

How inspiring!  Thanks for sharing your tips and for offering hope that if you 'just do it' and are consistent, CBT can offer significant help.  Have your friends and family commented on your personal changes?

Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's brilliant!

Great to hear the CBT was so helpful.
11 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear DC members, health educators and friends,
I am glad to announce that for more than 2 months now I no longer have significant symptoms of depression. This means I am in full remission from MDD which is really great considering I was suffering from depression for the last 8 years.

Of course I still have the occasional depressive thought but this time I know what to do to get back on the right track.

I can say that this accomplishment was mainly possible due to all the work with CBT for the last 7 months (never quit doing its activities) and to my pdoc.

My advice for other people suffering from depression (remember I am not an health care provider, this is only based on my experience):

1. Practice makes it perfect. The only way to benefit from CBT is to practice and practice until one knows what techniques works and doesn’t work. This important knowledge gained from all the practice it will be very important for the maintenance of the gains and relapse prevention purposes. Here the Nike slogan cames handy: with CBT is a question of “Just do It”.

2. If your depression is affecting substantially your life you have to find the right pdoc to help you, including asking for references or doing whatever it takes to guarantee this. This is a critical step and it can make the difference between getting better or not.

Observation: This is very personal but apart from the occasional venting session I didn’t found talk therapy very useful. I don’t like the passive approach of this therapy where I can’t do anything to get better and have to put all the hopes on the therapist. Now I only do the occasional session when I need to talk with somebody or do some venting.

Reading this thread: