What Is Problem Drinking?
Problem drinking means different things to different people. And different people experience different signs and symptoms of problem drinking.
Signs and symptoms may vary from person to person. Some may experience more severe symptoms than others while for some, the signs and symptoms can come-and-go over time
Signs of Problem Drinking
- Do you ever drink alone?
- Do you ever feel guilty after drinking?
- Has drinking caused you to lose any of your friends?
- Are you unable to stop drinking once you’ve started?
- Do you prefer to spend time with friends or co-workers who drink?
- Have you ever woken up from a night of drinking and had memory loss from the night before?
- Has drunken behavior led to your going to the hospital, getting arrested or losing a job?
- Does drinking ever lead to financial difficulties?
- Do people who are close to you ever say that you have a tendency to drink too much?
- Do you feel that you have to drink in social situations because you feel uncomfortable?
- Do you personally feel that you might have a problem with alcohol?
- Do you ever drink to get away from life’s troubles or difficulties?
- Does drinking get in the way of healthy eating or exercising?
Symptoms of More Severe Drinking Problems
- Mood swings
- Depression and/or anxiety
- Chronic Fatigue
- Memory loss
- Erectile dysfunction
- Recurrent intoxication
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you may have some of the signs or symptoms of problem drinking.
On the next page we'll review some different ways that will allow you to take a closer look at your drinking...